Friday, April 16, 2010

Stranded in the French Riveria

I've been awake since 3am this morning - in Cannes.
My 6am flight to Amsterdam was cancelled and Schipol airport is closed. Apparently all airports in North of Europe will be closed for the next 48hrs.

For the past 3 hrs, I have been on the phone looking for various routes out of Nice. Munich, Barcelona, Zurich, Frankfurt. The last one is the best option - there are 3 flights a day from Frankfurt to Singapore on a daily basis. Chances of getting on a flight there is higher.

In my hotel room now, I have been glued to BBC - I should change channels right but everything is in German/ French and I'd rather watch BBC. It's pretty depressing knowing that thousands of flights are being cancelled and thousands more are stranded in airports. I know several people who are stranded in Schipol.

I was so looking forward to going home - back to hubby and my son. My lil one has been unwell for the whole week and hubby has been tired staying up on most nights as the lil one is coughing. It makes a lot of difference to hear the small one sings on the phone - still cheerful and playful.

I keep taking to my lil one in my tummy - and busying myself with work. Some friends who are still here suggests a day trip to Monaco or Grasse but I'll pass. I've been to both places many years ago and my mind is set on going home only.

One step at a time. An interesting ride ahead.

No comments: