Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Milan to Rome to Singapore

The Milan office was great. My colleagues welcomed us with open arms and helped us through with everything - from meeting rooms to flights to restuarants and where to shop! What more can we ask for?!

I received a call from SQ informing me that they are gathering all their passengers and we were to leave for Rome on Monday evening at midnite on a bus. My boss and I left for the airport at 11pm and I have to say, when I got to Milan airport, everyone was very sombre. Perhaps it was late night. Got our boarding passes and on the double decker bus we go. I felt like the Vontrap family (not sure if the spelling is right but from the movie Sound of Music) leaving the country quietly and in the dark.

The bus journey was long - 9 hrs! Back breaking and not a great situation to be in for a pregnant woman. I tried to sleep and gave up in the end. Managed to see the sunrise in Italy and it was beautiful. Gosh, I traveled through Italy! Who would have thought?

The airport in Rome was chaotic. People were pushing, trying to get out and get in line. Lucky we managed to get our boarding pass sorted quickly. Then rushed to the VAT station to get our tax refund sorted. Gosh, the queue was long but did it anyway.
Finally got on the relief plane and made it home safely this morning - Alhamdulliah.

I have to admit that I hated the situation I was in - just the uncertainties of it all. Lucky I had colleagues with me and the blackberry we get constant updates from other colleagues who are stuck in other parts of Europe - each giving encouragement. Colleagues in UK called and emailed us often to make sure that we are all fine and yes, the social network Facebook is helpful too!

There are instances too where I feel that I should have just moved on with it but someone was against it... i shall keep that behind because ultimately, I made it home - safe and my family is relieved.

No comments: