Monday, November 10, 2008

Peking Duck

Do you believe in "What Goes Around Comes Around?" Yeah, I do and I was put in the same situation 4hrs later. What happened you want to know. I had my first taste of duck's meat in Indonesia.

That same afternoon over tea, I dared an American guy to try the cow's tongue satay. The Indons call it Satay Padang. He did eventually and was pretty cool about it. Of coz when he called his family back home and told them what he did, they were proud of him.

That evening, he wanted to have Chinese food for dinner and while I was ordering food, he said he would like to try Peking duck. I ordered but of course when the dish came I did not bother trying it.

Despite the engaging conversation we had, he noticed and insisted that I have my share. No choice but to confess, told him I have never eaten duck's meat. He found that amusing and dared me to eat it. I did eventually - I made sure i added as much hoisin sauce as possible. The minute I swallowed, I kept drinking lots of tea to wash away that oily taste - of course like him, I remained cool.

No comments: