Saturday, November 29, 2008

My First Production Experience

When our partners in Indonesia informed us that they want to produce our only kids award show, I wasn't that excited. They only gave us 3 months notice - this awards show is their first, and first in Asia too - usually we take about 12-18 months to prepare.

We managed to arrange for several consultants to help us. One of them is Bob Bain - an EP who has done numerous live event shows in the US. I felt like I was back in college - I learnt so much and made me love my job even more. He was just amazing - first of all, not your typical loud American. He is humble, cautious and approachable. Most importantly, he shared with us his experience and gave us ample warnings of what to look out for in a "live" show. Closer to the big production day, I was involved in production calls - going through rundowns, scripts, the gimmicks, the camera positions, the SLIME (of coz, our channel signature) and having to listen to each musical act. 4 days prior to THE day, I came to Jakarta and met another Consulatant called Bernard Edward but calling him Bernie is so much more apt. He is eccentric, funny, looks like mad scientist. He is so wacky and crazy that being with him in the control room is like being in a show itself. He dances to the camera each time he hits the VT button. Simply a joy.

Working with the production team here is very interesting. I'd like to blame it on culture and lifestyle - where I come from everything runs according to schedule but here nothing goes on schedule! It was interesting though... there are instances where I think my heart flipped a few times and I felt like giving everyone a nudge here and there but hey, it worked out in the end and that is the most important thing.

But all in all, this is definitely one major highlight in my career and I am very thankful to have been given this opportunity.

No comments: