Sunday, October 31, 2010

What a Waste!

We were told we could take some office furniture home. I was in the office last evening to take some drawers and shelves – not for me but for my brother and sister-in-law. A few weeks back, they mentioned they wanted to get some furniture for their bedroom so timing was perfect.

I have to admit, there were a lot of furniture that are in good condition. The shelves and cupboards in my boss’s room were built like 7 months ago. Everything is so new and I was told that it will be destroyed. We are getting Helen Miller chairs in the new office – yes, each chair is about $1K and yet in the current office, we have so many other chairs that are still usable.

I remembered when we had our first office move meeting – we wanted to save as much furniture as we can and re-use our chairs. I don’t know what happened in July, all that changed. Now, in the new office, we are getting new chairs, new furniture, new microwave, new fridge – everything is new! I have not been to the new office but I do get an office reno update very often with pictures attached.

I asked our HR VP who was with me, why we didn’t auction off our stuff – or even organize Garage Sale. Monies collected can either go to charity or to staff welfare. She said something about the quotations that she received and they were not so great.

What?! It’s better than not getting anything at all.

No comments: