Sunday, September 21, 2008

Tithe

Every Ramadan, I take a day off to fetch my mom to Jamiyah and Darul Ihsan for her to pay her tithe. I did the same last Friday.

On our way there, mom wanted to go to NTUC to buy a packet of rice. She said she wanted to pay her tithe with rice. "Ikut sunnah Nabi" she said. I obliged but kept my comments to myself.
When we got to the mosque, her action caught MUIS rep by surprise. I don't blame him and tried calling MUIS to see if they would accept the packet of rice. No one responded to the call.

Back in the car, I asked her why she did what she did. She told me Ustaz F informed everyone during class, its good to follow sunnah Nabi - yep, I agree, good to ikut sunnah Nabi. However, there must be a damn good reason for MUIS to establish the current system right? Imagine all the other neneks in her class carrying packets and packets of rice to the mosque to pay their tithe and they receive the same treatment as my mom? Tulang dah kerepot, kaki dah lemah, angkat beras berat only to be informed the mosque tak boleh terima their fitrah. Tak kesian tu?

No comments: