Monday, December 24, 2007

Holiday Holidays

Everyone celebrates the holiday season at the end of the year but why do people here wish you "Merry Christmas" and not "Happy Holidays"? I wish Merry X'mas to my Christian friends only and never wish anything to non Christians. Most of the times, I would say, enjoy the holidays.

I had dinner with one of my business colleagues a few weeks ago and she asked if the non-Christians feel offended with all the Christmas light ups and deco. I said no. To me, it is a commercial affair. She is Jewish and she told me that she would be offended if this was the case in her hometown. In US, there are all sorts of holidays - Kwanzaa, Hanukah, X'mas, Eid hence when it comes to the holiday seasons, they say Happy Holidays! Thinking about it, I think this is something we should adopt too.

No comments: