Wednesday, August 03, 2011

A Small World We Live In

This morning, I met with my late father's ex-colleague.

He was my cab driver to the airport. He initially thought I was Chinese and was pleasantly surprised I responded in Bahasa Melayu. That broke the ice and what happened after was an interesting conversation. With the bad morning traffic, there was so much I found out.

He asked me lots of questions - the usual ones; where you going? what you doing, married, kids, parents. I gave very little information and I knew he wanted more. I wouldn't have mentioned my late Dad if he had not said he was an ex police officer. Who would have thought he knew my father and could described my dad and his mannerisms so well! It's so heartwarming to know that my Dad left a good impression with his colleagues. As we continued to talk, he told me that his cousin is married to a Singaporean who is teaching at University Islam Antarabangsa. He was keen to introduce me to her and asked if I would be interested. As he described her and how she met his cousin, I knew I know who he was referring to. He was refering to my cousin(!!), who now lives in KL and returns to Singapore every year during Lebaran. We were both pleasantly surprise at the discovery and concluded that we are relatives after all!

He is a very nice man. Thoughtful, fatherly figure and gave me good advise towards work as well as life. I wish him well and I hope to meet him again one day. Believe it or not, he has my number and I have his.

No comments: