Friday, August 05, 2011

Ramadan in a Foreign Land

This is not the first time I experience Ramadan in a foreign land. When I was a student in Australia, I remembered having to tolerate the heat (it was 40degress and dry!) and breaking fast with instant noodles. When I started working with Nick, I would be traveling to Indonesia, Malaysia, Europe during Ramadan. The toughest I would say is being in Europe. There were several years when I had to do it during MIP - the amount of walking and talking that I have to do the whole day was exhausting. Breaking fast in a middle of a meeting with just one date and cold plain water was pretty depressing. That situation has not changed till today.

I am in London this week. It's summer and the days are long. Break fast is close to 9pm and fajr is at 415am. The first night, the team had dinner together and I waited patiently until I could eat. While I keep myself busy talking to my colleagues, my boss had to announce to everyone that I am fasting. And with that I had to explain what Ramadan is all over again, why I'm fasting eventhough I can be excused. The second night, we had dinner on a roof top - at OXO Tower London. The restaurant offers a breathtaking view of the city and the river. The company was good but I wished I wasn't there. It just does not feel right after you've fasted the whole day. I had 3 slices of french toast and did not even finish my meal. It was risotto.

I can't even wake up in the morning for sahur. I did this morning though but I'm very sure I will fall asleep during our session later in the afternoon.

I miss the Ramadan atmosphere - from the prayer call, to the conversations, the songs you hear on radio, the conversations you have with your friends and family and of course the warm meals that greet you.

I don't have any cravings for any food - the only craving I have is a mug of kopi susu and the company of my family.

No comments: