Monday, May 16, 2011

Memories @ the Hospitals

I remembered running around hospital grounds when I was young. No. I was not admitted in hospital rather we used to fetch mom back from work in the evenings and on weekends when mom was working as a nurse in KKH. I love the smell of hospital, I loved listening to stories that mom shared with us – some were scary but most of the stories were funny. It is even funnier now when you recall the stories as I go through some of the experiences myself. It is however not funny when you are in labour and the midwife says she knows your mom!

A few weeks ago, I was back in KKH because my 9 month old baby was hospitalized for fever and bronchitis. By the time we took him there, we knew I was going to be staying with him for the week. The ward was full – we were in a 5 bedder room – not by choice but it was a different experience for us; we are thankful(Alhamdullilah) for what Allah has given us. As I stay awake in the middle of the night, I could not help but recall the scary stories that mom used to share with us. Not a good thing to do when you are alone so I had to pull the blanket over my head to prevent myself from seeing things I don’t want to see! The room was damn cold and I could feel the cold right through my bones and we were by the window! I was glad I had my iphone; I swear that was my best friend that week and I was convinced to get the iphone 4 ;0

My baby was discharged on a Friday evening and the following week I brought mom to NUH for her Op. Again, I had the time to explore the hospital grounds while I was told to wait for mom. I think my legs brought me to places I am not supposed to go. I cannot imagine walking along the corridors of NUH at night and I made a mental note to park my car at the main building! It was pretty eerie or maybe it was just me?!

I used to distance myself from SGH. That hospital brings back lots of painful memories. 2 years ago, we registered Abang at Little Skool House and the school is within SGH premises. I learnt to shut my thoughts when I am there especially when I drive/walk past a certain building.

No comments: