Sunday, July 26, 2009

My 2nd Production Experience in Indonesia

Last Thursday, we had our second Indonesia Kids's Choice Awards in Jakarta. I have been on regular calls with the production team since day 1 - when we agreed on the event. And finally the big day. As usual, when I got to the site, a lot of things were work in progress and everything seems to move really slowly. As I sat with the production team and listened to the directions given by the Floor Director, I had confidence that the show will go on smoothly and will be a success.

At 6pm, an hour prior to the event, all the production members/crews and everyone who was involved in making the event happened went into a meeting room and gathered around a small table. On the table, there was a basket of pulut kuning (yellow glutinous rice). I was welcomed to join the group in the gathering session. The MD of the channel made a small speech - thanking everyone, etc, made me do a small speech as well (on the spot)to everyone and then the MD invited one of the senior staff to lead a prayer. That impressed me the most. Regardless of what religion you believe in, we were told to pray that the event will run smoothly and the ratings will be good. As the senior staff (a Muslim) led the prayer, I was so overwhelmed with emotions, i could cry! I have never experienced such a feeling in any event/ productions that I have been involved in. It was so surreal. Once the prayer ended, everyone had a taste of the pulut kuning and off they go to get ready for the big event.

The show went well - the kids went wild and most importantly, the show did bring in really good rating!

No comments: