Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Are Singaporean Malays a Conservative Lot?

I think we are. I know I am.
Where do I even start?
I have met and seen many Malays in my course of work. I have also worked in a Malay environment.
I have observed how Singaporean Malays and our neighbouring country Malays behave. I am not saying that all Malays in the neighbouring country are like that, but I am comparing those that live in the city with our own Malay.
I find that the Malays in our neighbouring country is bolder
- some men have affairs and they parade their women openly when they travel overseas
- they drink and offer drinks openly to other Malays. The first time that happened to me, I was in Cannes. In fact I was being ridiculed for rejecting it. Never mind. My respect for that person went down the drain and today when I meet him (while on business) I don't bother to treat him well like the other Malays do.
- i've been asked to a party by one of them and when I said no, I could feel that they thought I have some kind of disease.
Sometimes I do ask myself; is this really required in your job? I am not bothered if you were to ask non Malays to do whatever but to ask a fellow Malay to do the same? That's just not right.

I spoke to a few Singaporean malay friends who have lived and worked out of Singapore and we all feel the same way. We agreed that we are conservative and deep down we know it's haram.

No comments: