Wednesday, April 03, 2013

A Stranger in My Homeland

At Ngee Ann City.
In one of the boutiques ...
Sunday afternoon. I am in my tudung, came straight from religious class.

Me: Ok, I'll take this.

Sales Person (SP, Singaporean): I'll wrap this up for you

Me at the payment counter.

SP: How would you like to settle your bill?

Me: Here

SP: Can I get your passport please?

Me: Huh? ( I know it's for GST refund purposes but was surprised by the request nonetheless)

SP: You are Indonesian right?

Just so you know, this is the second time the same episode happened to me. The first one was in Paragon.

====================================================================

At NTUC, Clementi Mall
Buying diapers for my son

Sales Person  - let's call him Abang

Abang: excuse me excuse me...

Me: turned to look and smile

Abang: You may want to get 2 packs... there is a discount

Me: oh

Abang: Yes, it's so much cheaper.... you Melayu or not Malay.

Me: laugh. Saya orang Melayu lah bang...

Abang: hah, tu lah. Tak tahu nak cakap Melayu atau Inggeris. Murah dik, can save $12.

Me: Terimakasih. Rezeki saya :)

I think Abang paiseh

======================================================================
But when I travel out of my homeland....

In Indonesia, the cab drivers think I am from Surabaya. I was told ladies from Surabaya are very pretty. Makasih ya, Mas.../ Pak...

When I travel in KL, I like to use the word "kot" and "kan". Very Malaysian some say. They think I am a KL-lite. But once they hear me speak in English, they know I am Singaporean. Aksyen sikit according to one of my good friends. Geez..

When I am in Manila, the taxi drivers speak to me in Tagalog. When I tell them I am not pinoy or don't understand the language, they think I am lying. Does saying "kanan", "bigas", "kanena" acceptable??

And when I am in Thailand, I become bloody coy because the Thais talk about me openly in their language and all I have to do is smile and try to speak gently... ala Thai people!



No comments: