Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Pearls of the Orient

Philippines was once called Pearl of the Orient. And for the first time in my so many visits to Manila, I went to the Pearl market here in Greenhills. I like pearls and I do admit that I love looking at ladies who wear pearls. I was strongly encouraged by our partners to visit the pearl market - No expectations, no intention to buy, just curious to see the market.
I must admit I was so mesmerized by the types of pearls that are available, the colors, the sizes, the varieties... my oh my. Which one to buy?! I decided to go for a mixture of colors - though I know these are dyed, I thought this one looks casual enough for me to wear to work :) I already have a set of freshwater pearls at home, I really don't need another one.




I was told to haggle and bargain for a 50% discount. Interestingly, most of the shops there were run by Muslim women - in their tudungs, looking like Malay but speaking Tagalog. All I kept saying was "mahal-na..." which is expensive and when the seller finally agrees on the price I quoted all I said was "segey" which means OK.  Not bad eh?

No comments: